Travelling is considered a hobby for so many retirees as this seems to be the period when they get to visit their loved ones, see exotic places they craved for years and also meet new people and socialize. As entertaining as it can be, it could also pose a very high threat if safety considerations are not made. Some horrifying stories have been heard about people being robbed of their belongings and pin – pointed as targets while travelling, some have also been badly wounded while trying to wrestle with engaging robbers. If the proper measures are taken for protection while travelling, most of these security issues will be avoidable. Armed bandits and pickpockets are known to view older people as easy targets and so if precautions are not taken, they become the first set of victims to be dispossessed of their belongings. Safety precautions and suggestions can help prevent such occurrences, such as knowledge and skills which are listed below:
- Sensitivity and alertness towards the environment: You should never get distracted as a tourist, this makes you an easy target for the pickpockets.
- Don’t wear expensive jewelries, it’s a vacation and not a fashion fair. This makes you a prime target for robbers. Wearing expensive shoes and accessories makes you easily identified as a tourist and this gives a clear invite to the robbers who has every intention of dispossessing you of such items.
- Don’t travel around at night; security is less guaranteed in some areas at night due to visibility. Hoodlums might use the cover of darkness to execute their mischievous plans so it is better to always stay indoors at night.
- Always consider having with you at all times a dummy wallet, have some spare cash in it. If you eventually have an unfortunate confrontation with any mischievous personality, you can quickly hand over the dummy wallet on request to avoid any more problems.
- At all times , have with you a means of identification and the contact details of your nation’s embassy or any other country’s embassy that may be of assistance in case you have issues in a foreign land.
- While leaving your apartment, always look sharp and have a clear understanding of your destination’s route and if possible an alternative route. Get a map, asking for directions with a map is much easier than verbally in a foreign language, have your routes clearly marked in the map.
- Don’t always travel alone, if you have to, notify people at home or in your hotel of your current position intermittently.
It is wise to be vigilant at all times, this will keep you safe form all harms while on a tour.